Re: Attribute remapping support in XML Schemas

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Veillard" <Daniel.Veillard@w3.org>
To: "Martin Gudgin" <marting@develop.com>
Cc: <Daniel.Veillard@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2000 8:54 AM
Subject: Re: Attribute remapping support in XML Schemas

> On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 08:22:28AM -0400, Martin Gudgin wrote:
> > The way I read the namespace rec unprefixed attributes are *always*
locally
> > scoped by their containing element. The only way to have a global
attribute
> > is to give it a prefix. So assuming a namespace decl for prefix x1;
> >
> >     <x1:foo bar='somevalue' x1:bar='somevalue'/>
> >     <x1:quux bar='somevalue' x1:bar='somevalue'/>
> >
> > x1:bar is the same attribute in both cases, has the same meaning etc
etc.

> Ok section 5.2 with default namespace, i.e. if foo has no no x1 prefix:
>
>   "Note that default namespaces do not apply directly to attributes."

> The spec says  "bar is not in "somvalue" namespace.
> I should have been more clear that it was just for default namespace.

[MJG]
Hmmm. I didn't read the namespace rec that way. I saw bar as being locally
scoped by foo. I think the phrase you are refering too is just trying to
state that unprefixed attributes are never global even if there is a default
namespace.

The way I read it the following two instance documents are identical at the
infoset level;

<root xmlns:x1='urn:mjg-x1'>
    <x1:foo bar='somevalue' x1:bar='somevalue'/>
    <x1:quux bar='somevalue' x1:bar='somevalue'/>
</root>

<root xmlns='urn:mjg-x1' xmlns:x1='urn:mjg-x1'>
    <foo bar='somevalue' x1:bar='somevalue'/>
    <quux bar='somevalue' x1:bar='somevalue'/>
</root>

In both documents the unprefixed bar attributes are locally scoped whereas
the prefixed bar attributes are global.

Martin Gudgin
DevelopMentor