Use of xml:lang

From: Jane Hunter <jane@dstc.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 09:54:28 +1000
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
We're using XML Schema within MPEG-7 to define descriptions of audiovisual
cotent. Certain descriptive elements have a language attribute. For
consistency, we'd like to use the xml:lang attribute.

Does this need to be declared like any other attribute for the elements to
which it applies? For example:

<complexType name="FrameAnnotation">
     <element name="Who" type="string" minOccurs="0"/>
     <element name="What" type="string" minOccurs="0"/>
     <attribute ref="xml:lang"/>
</complexType>

I assume that we also need to import the xml namespace?
If so, where is this located?

jane

| Dr Jane Hunter                   | Senior Research Scientist             |
| DSTC Pty Ltd                     | Distributed Systems Technology CRC    |
| Level 7, General Purpose South   | Tel   : +61 7 3365 4310               |
| The University of Queensland     | Fax   : +61 7 3365 4311               |
| Queensland 4072, Australia       | Email : jane@dstc.edu.au              |