Re: XPath built-in datatype

(sorry for slow reply -- I've been busy with many parallel projects)

Just my opinion, not speaking for the WG or anyone else, but I think that
an XPath datatype would be a fine thing for the XSL workgroup to declare.
I think it is a mistake to ask schemas to go too far down the road in
baking in every string-type that is motivated by some other W3C spec.
Schemas gives other groups the power to create their own target
namespaces, and to publish schemas with the appropriate type definitions.
As noted below, validation of XPath strings can at best be somewhat loose,
but you can easily provide a standard W3C-wide means to express that a
string is intended as an XPath.   Admittedly, there is a slight
circularity in the fact that schemas makes some use of XPath in
structures.  I would still prefer to do the architecturally correct thing,
and get the XSL WG lined up to publish an XPath type if the world needs
one.  I would like to believe that we could sort out the corresponding
trivial change to the schema for schemas during the CR period.  In
general, groups that own particular namespaces should own the schemas for
the corresponding datatypes, I think.  Yes, there is room for exceptions
for convenience.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142

"Arnold, Curt" <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>