Re: maxOccurs depends on minOccurs

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 12 Apr 2000 09:24:46 +0100
To: Ace <Ace@AceProgrammer.com>
Cc: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
Ace <Ace@AceProgrammer.com> writes:

> I noticed that in the examples that are in XML Schema Part 0: Primer,
> that the comment element is usually defined:
>
>  <xsd:element ref="comment" minOccurs="0"/>
>
> The Primer explicitly says this means the element is optional.  However,
> after looking at the spec and the explanation in the Primer, it seems to
> me that this actually makes the comment prohibited because it falls into
> the third case below.  I hope I am mistaken.  I'd rather the above
> syntax mean that the element is optional.

You're right, it should, and the defaulting text for maxOccurs is
buggy.  It should read

{max occurs}
  1. unbounded, if the maxOccurs [attribute] equals unbounded,
  2. otherwise the number corresponding to the lexical [value] of the
     maxOccurs [attribute], if present,
  3. otherwise the number corresponding to the lexical [value] of the
     minOccurs [attribute], if it is present and greater than 1
  4. otherwise 1.

Thanks