normative DTD

From: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 12:02:37 +0700
To: XML Schema Comments <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>
The DTD in Appendix B asserts that it is normative.  What does this mean
exactly? The only sense I can think of is that an XML Schema must be XML
1.0 valid when you add "appropriate" declarations to it; that would be
imply that I was obliged to use the XML Schema namespace as the default
namespace, and that something like

<xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema" ...

was not allowed.  But this would be deeply incompatible with XML
Namespaces (as well as with the infoset and the Schema for Schemas).
(These considerations led the XSL WG to make the DTD in XSLT
non-normative.)

James