non-Gregorian dates are desirable

From: Terry Butler <Terry.Butler@ualberta.ca>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 15:52:09 -0600
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
Cc: Greg.Coulombe@ualberta.ca, Sue.Fisher@ualberta.ca, Susan.Hockey@ualberta.ca
 > Definition: ] The dateTime datatype ...
 > Issue (non-gregorian-dates): Both standards are limited to Gregorian
dates. As an internalization issue, do we want support for non-gregorian
dates? This issue also applies to [date], [time] and [timePeriod].

 From the perspective of an academic research project which is encoding
information which crosses various boundaries (such as Julian ("Old
Style")/Gregorian dates, and divergent years of implementation of the
reform across Europe), support for non-Gregorian dates and a standard means
to refer all encoded dates to a single (UTC-type) reference would be highly
desirable.

The whole notion of data-typing is highly desirable for our project, which
is using SGML encoding (as well as database representation) of our research
results; the absence of such control is SGML is a major headache for us.

Terry Butler
Co-Investigator, the Orlando Project
An Integrated History of Women's Writing in the British Isles
www.ualberta.ca/Orlando