Re: Re; PIs in xml:schema

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 05:39:00 -0500
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
David Beech wrote:

> Thanks for the interesting discussion of floating element types.  We
> have recorded this as an issue for XML Schema, although the breadth of
> the implications suggests that we might not be the right WG to take up
> the cudgels for a PI replacement in XML - maybe the XML Syntax WG?

My assertion is that a PI is an element that is

 a) broken in many ways :)

 and

 b) schema invisible.

Therefore if you describe a mechanism for making elements schema invisible
(or at least invisible to the MAIN schema but perhaps visible to some
other one) then you will have defined a replacement for PIs whether you
meant to or not. The PI syntax will go away naturally over time when
people realize the implications of schema-invisible elements.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Math -- that most logical of sciences -- teaches us that the truth can
be highly counterintuitive and that sense is hardly common.
	K.C.Cole, "The Universe and the Teacup"