Re: minOccur, maxOccur

From: David Beech <dbeech@us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 05:42:23 -0700
To: paul@prescod.net
CC: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
Paul,

Thanks for your input.  You wrote:

> I dispute the usefulness of minOccur and maxOccur. I would like to hear
> about where people would use these features. I find that people often want
> them but can find a clearer way of expressing their document type when
> they are not available.

The WG has entered this as an issue.

Personally I agree with you, but I wonder whether we need a bit more
than just the existing DTD alternatives, if that is what you were
suggesting.

For mapping arrays with a fixed number of elements into XML, minOccur
and maxOccur are in any case not what is needed - so maybe something
more like lowerBound and upperBound on indexing into ordered collections
as a way of constraining + more strongly?  Even lowerBound is a bit
generous towards languages that support it or use 0-indexing, and if we
didn't need that we could just have Occurs.

Regards,

  David