Re: ISSUE: please provide alternative '/' operator

At 10:35 AM 1/14/2002 -0500, Shawn Vincent wrote:

>circumstances.  Please provide an alternative shorthand
>operator that does simple projection.

Hi Shawn,

This issue has a long, verbose, and time consuming history in the
discussions among Working Groups.

Your proposal was independently proposed, and has been discussed in depth.
The main argument against it was simply that relatively few people will
understand the difference between / and \, especially as they produce the
same result in most queries. Some people felt that using 'for' was more
clear, if also more verbose. There was also some fear that we would develop
two user communities, one that uses only / and another that uses only \,
and these communities would not understand the subtle differences in
behavior of their queries.

This operator would be simple to add to a later version of the language if
experience with users shows it to be needed.

>In any case, compilers should issue a warning in cases where '/' is
>used in ways that may destroy user-specified ordering.

Perhaps. I'm not sure that this is always easy to report, I need to think
about it.

Jonathan

These are my opinions right now. They may be quite different from the
opinions of Software AG, the W3C XML Query Working Group, or the opinions
that I will have after reading and considering your response.