Re: [xml-dev] The use of XML syntax in XML Query

> >3) updating XSLT including XPath 2.0 as the XML syntax 'version' of
XQuery,
> >that is to say any features of XQuery not included in XPath 2.0 should be
> >included in XSLT 2.0 (well it already has element constructors etc). Is
this
> >feasable?
>
> Possibly. But some of this is hard. XSLT tends to construct things top
> down, and XQuery constructs things bottom up, for reasons that make
perfect
> sense in each language, which means the element constructors are
different.

I don't understand this argument at all.  I don't see any fundamental
semantic differences between element construction in XSLT and element
construction in XQuery. If there was the political will, I believe XSLT and
XQuery element construction could be unified. Some time ago, before I
dropped out of W3C activities, I wrote a short paper on this.  See:

    http://www.jclark.com/xml/construct.html

Note that this was written relative to an older XQuery draft than the
current one.

> Updates don't work well in XSLT since it clearly separates the input tree
> from the output tree.

And XQuery doesn't?

James