Re: [xml-dev] The use of XML syntax in XML Query

At 03:25 PM 1/3/2002 -0500, Jonathan Borden wrote:
>One can always introduce a new/XML syntax, I would favor:
>
>3) updating XSLT including XPath 2.0 as the XML syntax 'version' of XQuery,
>that is to say any features of XQuery not included in XPath 2.0 should be
>included in XSLT 2.0 (well it already has element constructors etc). Is this
>feasable?

Possibly. But some of this is hard. XSLT tends to construct things top
down, and XQuery constructs things bottom up, for reasons that make perfect
sense in each language, which means the element constructors are different.
Updates don't work well in XSLT since it clearly separates the input tree
from the output tree.

Still, I like the general direction of what you suggest.

Jonathan