XML Query Use Case SEQ, query 5

From: Michael Dyck <MichaelDyck@home.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 00:05:42 -0800
To: www-xml-query-comments@w3.org
XML Query Use Cases
W3C Working Draft 15 February 2001

1.3.4.5 Use Case SEQ, query 5:

The informal query is: "In Report1, what happened between the first Incision
and the second Incision?"

First, it's not clear to me why the Expected Result isn't
    The fascia was identified and
    <action>#2 0 Maxon stay sutures ...</action>
That is, why does the Expected Result omit the text node immediately
preceding the <action> element node?

Second, the Solution in XQuery does not yield either of these results.
Instead, it yields:
    <geography>in the midline immediately infraumbilical</geography>
    <instrument>using electrocautery.</instrument>
    <action>#2 0 Maxon stay sutures were placed on each side of the midline.
    </action>
The <geography> and <instrument> elements are children of the first
<incision> element and are therefore after it in document order, so they
satisfy the AFTER expression.  In this case, I think you want something with
the semantics of XPath's "following" axis. Maybe XQuery needs a FOLLOWING
operator?

-Michael Dyck