Re: XML Query: lexical analysis

my reading of the new spec left me in a similar quandry. the earlier
version permitted a context free lexical analysis. that was nice. the
newer one precludes that.

at first i wondered why one would make such a qualitative chage without
a mention, but then i reflected on the general tendancy away from the
original syntax, which had adopted many nice, simple, clear, easy to
read features from the algebra syntax, towards a syntax which offers the
convenience of literal xml forms. this realization made every thing clear.

so just resigned myself to incorporating a context-dependent lexical
analyser of the same order as a full-blown xml-parser requires. in my
case, the parser itself permits multiple categories, so it's not too bad.

who am i to say...