{*}LocalName wildcard

From: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:15:56 +0700
To: XML Query Comments <www-xml-query-comments@w3.org>
This is a comment on http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-query-algebra-20001204
.

The wildcard syntax allows a wildcard that matches a specific local name
with any namespace URI.  I think this should be removed.  The basic idea
of the XML namespaces Rec is that the namespace URI determines the
meaning of the local name.  It doesn't therefore make much sense to me
to match on a local name independently of its namespace URI.  Note that
XPath does not provide this kind of wildcard, nor I believe does the XML
Schemas.

James