Re: XML Query

Peter Wilson wrote:

>The world has enough parsers. XML is about banishing the proliferation
>of private syntaxes.

There *will* be a published representation of XQuery that is expressed in
XML. It is not yet finished. You can use this if you don't want an XQuery
parser in your system. There will probably also be parsers that create this
representation from an XQuery query.

>Please get rid of your private query syntax and put the XML query
>formulation into XML syntax - use name spaces.

A keyword-based approach is much easier for users to read and write.

I've never seen an XML representation of SQL, Java, JavaScript, Visual
Basic, or any other commonly used query or programming language that was as
easy to read and write as the original language. If you want to convince me
that we should throw away the XQuery syntax, start by designing an XML
syntax and presenting the solutions to our Use Cases document in that syntax.

For what it's worth, I've done that twice and thrown away the results.

Jonathan