RE: looking again for packaging interest

> From: Larry Masinter [mailto:masinter@Adobe.COM]
> With regard to the 'catalog problem', I was pointed to where
> Multipart/Related
> doesn't help:
> > >
> > >http://www.w3.org/1999/07/xml-pkg234/Overview#collecting
> > >Bullet items 1 and 3 require a client-side decision to determine which
> > >components of a collection are needed.  How does the client make this
> decision?
>
> A catalog of "needed components" for any document root sounds like
> an interesting thing to have, but
>    (a) I think it might be a very hard thing to generate from existing
>        content, in general
>    (b) It's separable from the rest of the packaging issues
>

> I mean, you could deliver manifests which give lists of
> ("what other resources do you need to access before you can meaningfully
> render/process/index/search/<mumble> this document?")
>
> without ever packaging the resources together into a single bundle.

Or you could deliver a manifest and all the components you think the
reciever
needs for processing.  So for XML, you send the document, external entities,
and
a stylesheet for HTML viewing.  You reference a stylesheet that can convert
the doc to text and one for transforming the document to speech.  These last
two are referenced in the catalog/mainifest only.

I see Gavin has already resonded to your other questions.