Re: No more W3C plans to address packaging

> By "contribute" I assume you talking about some specific code rather
> than a discussion of XML packaging.
>
> This is the mailing list that was developed to talk about XML Packaging,
> and I wanted to make sure folks didn't think they should go elsewhere
> to discuss XML packaging.
>
> paul

 The advantages of using OpenOffice to further the work on XML Packaging
are:

1. It is going to be implemented in the release of Open/Star Office 6.0,
thus there is a definite impetus to reach consensus and implement something.

2. OpenOffice is an open project, open to contribution by all and all source
code is under the LGPL (and the SISSL, and hopefully in the future large
sections will be under the full GPL).

3. The Packaging work in OpenOffice is in its infancy, alot of work remains
to be done and the more contributions there are from the kind of people on
this list, the better the final product will be, and the greater the
likelihood that it can be used as the basis for a W3C proposal.

In case you're wondering who I am, I have been working for StarOffice/Sun
Microsystems in Hamburg since August and am a member of the XML
team/group/army/organisation . One possibility for future work in this area
is that I co-ordinate between the people on this group and those on the
dev@xml.openoffice.org list and we use this list to discuss the packaging
aspects, and the other list for discussing implementation issues and other
openoffice-xml stuff.

I think the kind of XML packaging we need in OpenOffice (which I assume is
going to be similar to what other people need it for) is well described in
the report on XML Packaging (http://www.w3.org/1999/07/xml-pkg234/Overview).
The way we are going about this in OpenOffice is to use a Zip file and
extend it in a way similar to a Jar file except using an XML manifest
instead. This provides:

1. Multiple files packaged together and (optionally) compressed.
2. Central directory record (a feature of the Zip file format) provides
random access into the package (each zip entry can be seeked to and then
uncompressed individually ).
3. Associated meta information is stored in the Manifest file.

The final words of the report I mentioned above: "It is best that the group
produce at least 2 interoperable implementations"....I'll provide one in
OpenOffice :)

Am I making sense? I haven't had any coffee yet today, and due to an
extremely damaged ankle and as a result, being burdened with crutches, I'm
not likely to be able to carry a cup down the hall to my desk *sigh*. Any
volunteers to airdrop in caffeine gratefully recieved..

Martin