From: Richard Tobin [mailto:richard@inf.ed.ac.uk]
Sent: September 10, 2008 3:12 PM
To: Hugh Wallis; 'Richard Tobin'; www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org
Cc: 'Steven Pemberton'; public-forms@w3.org; 'Paul Grosso'
Subject: RE: XML Base PER--what is a URI

> Why would the WG not adopt the W3C's official position on what
> constitutes a URI [1] ? (which references RFC 3986 [2] )

Oh dear.  I didn't think this was so hard to explain.  This isn't about the
syntax of URIs, it's about whether some string you find in an XML document
is intended to be interpreted as a URI.

In an XSLT stylesheet, given the XPath "document('foo')", "foo" is
interpreted as a URI.  In the XPath "@name = 'foo'", "foo" is not
interpreted as a URI.  The fact that one "foo" is interpreted as a URI and
the other isn't is governed by the XSLT and XPath specs.

-- Richard

--
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland,
with registration number SC005336.