Re: Fwd: Re: HRRIs, IRIs, etc

From: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:53:40 +0100 (BST)
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, "Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>
Cc: <public-iri@w3.org>, <www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org>, <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>, <public-i18n-core@w3.org>

> You should simply drop this effort and use IRI References instead. There
> is a high cost associated with yet another notion of resource identifier
> technology

This is not another notion of resource identifier.  It is the existing
notion used for XML system identifier, XLink href, and several other
things.  We are merely providing a name and a single place for a
definition that already exists in multiple specs.

> Simply prohibit anything but IRI references and,
> if necessary, specify "utf-8-percent-escape all disallowed characters"
> as error recovery method.

That would constitute a normative change to several specs.

-- Richard