RE: XPointer considered incomprehensible

AFAICT, the +xml convention does not have normative force on XPointer
compatibility.  Each media type must therefore define whether it
supports the XPointer Framework (XPF).  I believe consistent
compatibility with the XPF across XML-based media types would be a good
thing.

Fragment identifiers are in fact problematic, in that their
interpretation is dependent upon the media type of the resource.  This
interacts badly with content negotiation, as a given URL may return a
variety of media types, and if the fragment identifier syntax for each
of these media types is incompatible, the utility of the fragment
identifier is destroyed.

XPF deployment doesn't solve this universally, but it does provide a
mechanism to address this within the XML family of media types (or
actually, any media type with XPointer-framework compatible syntax.)

For example, say a description of a Web Service was deployed, with
content negotiation providing for application/wsdl+xml,
application/rdf+xml, or application/xml representations.  If each of
these media types were XPF-compatible, one could construct a fragment
that, while a bit hairy, could precisely identify a subresource within
any of these media types:

http://example.com/webservice#wsdl.interface(pay)rdf.about(pay)element(/
1/3)

(I just invented rdf.about() as an XPF-compatible synonym for whatever
#pay would mean.)

Unfortunately this doesn't work today:
- application/rdf+xml apparently doesn't use XPF.
- application/wsdl+xml inadvertently constrains away non-wsdl.* schemes
(I will get this fixed this asap.)

The problem is in education and evangelization - the value of XPointer
is proportional to the number of media types that make use of it.  Is
there more we can do to jumpstart the network effect?  Perhaps the TAG
can survey the +xml media types and determine how many aren't
compatible, and apply some pressure to get them fixed.