Re: XLink 1.1: 5.4 "URI reference" unclear

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 19:58:50 +0100
To: "Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>
Cc: <www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org>

* Grosso, Paul wrote:
>>>Fair enough. Do you not feel that the note in 1.2.3 of 3986 covers our
>>>use of the popular and historically accurate term "relative URI"?
>>>
>>>      NOTE: Previous specifications used the terms "partial URI" and
>>>      "relative URI" to denote a relative reference to a URI.  As some
>>>      readers misunderstood those terms to mean that relative URIs are
>>>      subset of URIs rather than a method of referencing URIs, this
>>>      specification simply refers to them as relative references.
>>
>>That might cover it, but I don't see why XLink 1.1 should not use more
>>appropriate terminology.
>
>The XML Core WG reconsidered the issue and had consensus to
>stick with the better-known term "relative URI".
>
>Does this adequately address your comment, or do you wish for
>the XML Core WG to record your feelings on this matter as an
>official objection when we request CR?

No, I already said I don't see why XLink 1.1 should use obsolete and in
this context incorrect terminology; this now appears in "If the value of
the href attribute is a relative URI, ..." It's incorrect, the specific
text also applies if it's a "relative IRI", for example. I don't agree
the XLink 1.1 specification should have such errors.