Re: XLink 1.1: Xlink vs "legacy" linking

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:44:33 +0100
To: "Webb Roberts" <webb.roberts@gtri.gatech.edu>, "Norman Walsh" <Norman.Walsh@sun.com>
Cc: "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi@gmx.net>, www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 18:05:05 +0100, Webb Roberts
<webb.roberts@gtri.gatech.edu> wrote:
> The XHTML 1.0 spec has this to say:  "If a user agent encounters an
> attribute it does not recognize, it must ignore the entire attribute
> specification (i.e., the attribute and its value)."  (From
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#uaconf )

Given that a user agent implementing XLink might actually recognize some
attribute called "href" in the "http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" namespaces
this imposes a problem. I still think that it should be addressed by the
XLink specification given that it affects implementations of languages
that already have linking mechanisms.

Anne van Kesteren