Re: XLink 1.1: Charmod conformance

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:56:39 +0100
To: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Cc: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org

* Norman Walsh wrote:
>Yes. Perhaps when I better understand the issue I'll be able to comment.

http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/#sec-Conformance

  A specification conforms to this document if it:

    1) does not violate any conformance criteria preceded by [S],

    2) documents the reason for any deviation from criteria where the
       imperative is SHOULD, SHOULD NOT, or RECOMMENDED,

    3) where applicable, requires implementations conforming to the
       specification to conform to this document,

    4) where applicable, requires content conforming to the
       specification to conform to this document.

If XLink 1.1 is changed to do 1), 3), and 4) (all of which I think are
applicable and not currently met) then I'm probably happy. For 1) the
only constraint that's not met as far as I can tell is C014. To address
this XLink 1.1 implementations must either always NFC-normalize IRIs
when dereferencing a link and this requires IRI to URI conversion, or
never. How this is achieved I'm less concerned about.