Re: XLink 1.1: XPointer reference

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 22:32:14 +0200
To: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Cc: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org

* Norman Walsh wrote:
>|   http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xlink11-20050707/ section 5.4 notes
>| "For locators into XML resources, the format of the fragment identifier
>| (if any) used within the URI reference is specified by the XPointer
>| specification [XPTR]." This is incorrect, please either remove this note
>| or replace it with something that is not incorrect.
>
>It is expected that the successor to RFC 3023 will make this statement
>true. It's remarkable that it's taken so long. If it appears that
>XLink 1.1 will go to REC before that time, I'll add a caveat.

Assuming this is meant to formally address the issue, I don't think this
is acceptable, draft-murata-kohn-lilley-xml-01.txt expired about two
weeks ago and it clearly noted that

  If [XPointerFramework] and [XPointerElement] are inappropriate for
  some XML-based media type, it SHOULD NOT follow the naming convention
  '+xml'.

which means it is possible that for some "XML resources" the "format of
the fragment identifier" is not specified by XPointer. In fact, XPointer
only defines a framework, for e.g. image/svg+xml the concrete format of
fragment identifiers is specified in the SVG specifications.