Re: XLink 1.1: XPointer reference

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 22:32:14 +0200
To: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Cc: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org

* Norman Walsh wrote:
>|   http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xlink11-20050707/ section 5.4 notes
>| "For locators into XML resources, the format of the fragment identifier
>| (if any) used within the URI reference is specified by the XPointer
>| specification [XPTR]." This is incorrect, please either remove this note
>| or replace it with something that is not incorrect.
>It is expected that the successor to RFC 3023 will make this statement
>true. It's remarkable that it's taken so long. If it appears that
>XLink 1.1 will go to REC before that time, I'll add a caveat.

Assuming this is meant to formally address the issue, I don't think this
is acceptable, draft-murata-kohn-lilley-xml-01.txt expired about two
weeks ago and it clearly noted that

  If [XPointerFramework] and [XPointerElement] are inappropriate for
  some XML-based media type, it SHOULD NOT follow the naming convention

which means it is possible that for some "XML resources" the "format of
the fragment identifier" is not specified by XPointer. In fact, XPointer
only defines a framework, for e.g. image/svg+xml the concrete format of
fragment identifiers is specified in the SVG specifications.