Re: XLink 1.1: "XML document" undefined

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:43:29 +0200
To: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Cc: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org

* Norman Walsh wrote:
>|   http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xlink11-20050707/ section 5.1.5 notes
>| "Any linkbase specified as the ending resource of an arc with this
>| special value must be an XML document." The draft however does not
>| define what an "XML document" is, please change the draft such that
>| this term has well-defined meaning.
>
>I suppose that can be changed to explicitly refer to XML 1.0 or XML 1.1,
>is that what you had in mind?

If I'd try to implement this requirement in the W3C Markup Validator I
would be concerned with cases like documents that use unregistered XML
media types like text/xsl that do not conform to RFC 3023, ill-formed
documents, documents that are not namespace-wellformed, documents using
incorrect media types like text/plain, XML 1.2/2.0 documents, documents
that violate MUST requirements in XML 1.0 without causing fatal errors,
documents that cannot be retrieved because the protocol is unsupported,
unavailable resources (non-2xx response codes for HTTP, for example),
and so on. I do not see how specific reference to XML 1.0 or XML 1.1
might help here.