XPointer errors from XPointer schemes?

From: Colin Paul Adams <colin@colina.demon.co.uk>
Date: 24 Feb 2005 13:57:04 +0000
To: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org

I'm a little confused as to whether an XPointer scheme can return an
XPointer error or not, and what the significance of this is.

Suppose I have an xpointer consisting of:

xmlns(jim) element(fred/7.4/6) xpointer (/*)

The scheme data for xmlns and element both contain syntax errors.
Should these be treated as XPointer errors? The recommendations for
the two schemes seem to say not.

If they WERE to be signalled as errors, should the XPointer processor
report the error to the application, or should it proceed to evaluate
the xpointer scheme?
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire