externally-determined ID implementation experience?

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 14:00:39 -0500
To: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org

I just discovered

"[Definition: An externally-determined ID is a string, representing an
element identifier, whose value is determined by the application through
mechanisms outside the scope of this specification.]"
-- http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-xptr-framework-20030325/#term-xdi

I'd like to know about some examples that motivated
that feature.

Could you point me to an item in a test suite or an
implementation report or whatever where implementation
experience with this feature was demonstrated?

see you at the WWW2004 in NY 15-21 May?