Re: XPointer

On Wednesday 30 October 2002 07:31 pm, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Speaking as the one editing the revision of 2396, I can assure you
> that double-quote will not allowed in the URI syntax.  Such a change
> wouldn't be even remotely compatible with deployed implementations.

No doubt you have more than just opinion behind your comments, but it is not
apparent from your comments. Can you give more substantive technical backing
such as the above?

In particular, your comment about being media-specific is interesting, but
your alternate "media independent" identification methods (search terms,
paragraph text, and regular expressions, all of which boil down to queries of
a form) have serious issues as well, most obviously, lack of uniqueness
(something that has plagued critlink in the past). ID, as you note, is a
reasonable approach, but given your (assumed!) criteria, is also necessarily
media dependent... being tied to a media type that has some intrinsic notion
of what ID is.