Re: Unclear point in XML Base

From: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:33:39 -0500
To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Cc: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org

Thank you for your comment on XML Base recorded at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2002JulSep/0071

You point out that Section 4.2 of the spec says:

># The base URI of an element is:
>#
>#    1.  the base URI specified by an xml:base attribute on the element,
>#    if one exists, otherwise
>#
>#    2.  the base URI of the element's parent element within the document
>#    or external entity, if one exists, otherwise
>#
>#    3.  the base URI of the document entity or external entity containing
>#    the element.

and you ask for clarification.

The maintenance of XML Base has been picked up by the XML Core WG.

by the Errata document at http://www.w3.org/2001/06/xmlbase-errata
wherein we clarified the wording by adding the word "entity" to the
second bullet point, as follows:

  2. the base URI of the element's parent element within the document entity
  or external entity, if one exists, otherwise

We hope this provides the clarification you requested.

Paul Grosso
for the XML Core WG