RE: XPointer architecture (Re: [xml-dev] XPointer and XML Schema)

From: Ron Daniel <rdaniel@taxonomystrategies.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 23:53:40 -0700
To: <vdv@dyomedea.com>
Cc: <www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org>, <w3c-xml-linking-wg@w3.org>

Thank you for your comments on the XPointer Framework Last Call draft,
which are archived at:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2002JulSep/
00347.html

The XML Linking Working Group has collected all the comments
on the documents and decided what changes to make to the draft.
The dispositions of your comments are given below. Please reply
to www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org within one week if you wish
to make a formal objection to these decisions.

> [...] the usage of a DTD or a W3C XML Schema should
> be non normative examples of technologies which may be used.
>
> Otherwise, I don't see the logic of imposing these 2 technologies if
the
> schema to use kept to the choice of each application.

Hi Eric,

Currently, DTDs and XML Schemas are the only W3C-specified means
of declaring that an attribute is of type ID. Citing them as the
normative means of determing ID-ness seems to hit about a 90/10
tradeoff for interoperation.

Best regards,

Ron Daniel Jr.
Acting chair, XML Linking Working Group