proposal for an xlink data model

From: Erik Wilde <net.dret@dret.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:31:48 +0200
To: www-xml-infoset-comments@w3.org, www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org, www-style@w3.org, www-dom@w3.org, w3c-xml-linking-ig@w3.org
CC: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>, Ronald Daniel <rdaniel@interwoven.com>, Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>, Liam Quin <liam@w3.org>

hello.

i have just published a report describing a proposal for an xlink data
model. it is available at

http://dret.net/netdret/docs/tikrep148.pdf

and proposes to define a data model for xlink based on the xml infoset.
the report's abstract reads:

"This report describes a proposal for a data model for XLink. It defines
the data model as contributions of XLink to the XML Infoset. The data
model is meant as a clarification of the link model implicitly defined
by XLink. It is also meant as the foundation for future work on XLink,
for example a DOM module for XLink support, a CSS module for styling
XLinks, or a protocol for accessing XLink linkbases."

my goal is to have this (or an improved ;-) version of the xlink infoset
being specified as a w3c recommendation, so that other activities (such
as dom and css) can build on top of it. possible developments are:

- an xlink dom3 module

- css3 selectors for linking information

- css3 properties for link formatting

- xsl-fo properties for link styling

- a protocol for linkbase access

in my opinion, all these things should be done to promote xlink and to
help to make the xml-based web a hypermedia systems, where things can be
easily linked. if there is enough support, then i hope that w3c will
start to define an xlink infoset.

i am very curious to hear what people think of this idea. i know that
xlink is not everybody's darling, and that xlink's success so far has
been less than stellar, but i hope that we cann still change this by
providing users with a better framework for working with xlink.

kind regards,

erik wilde  -  tel:+41-1-6325132  -  fax:+41-1-6321035
           mailto:net.dret@dret.net -  http://dret.net/
           computer engineering and networks laboratory
           swiss federal institute of technology  (eth)
           * try not. do, or do not. there is no try. *