Re: [xml-dev] What kind of trap is XPointer?

From: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 11:46:29 -0400
To: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org, www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org, EB2M-MRT@asahi-net.or.jp

Eric van der Vlist worries:
> I have been long to understand this, but the consequence of XPointer
> as currently stated is that to claim to support the text/xml media
> type any application MUST support W3C XML Schema.

XML Media Types,  RFC 3023 [1], mentions XPointer as one possibility for
fragment identification, but that is not currently required.

If XPointer requires PSVI support (my reading of [2], at least when a
document references a schema), then I think it will be a very hard sell
to require XPointer conformance for those media types.

It might be sensible if a bit odd to create application/psvi or somesuch
for applications of XML which rely on the PSVI, but that's just one
possibility.

[1] - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3023.txt , section 5
[2] - http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/#b2b1b1b1
--