["Jeff Rafter" <jeffrafter@defined.net>] Re: [xml-dev] XPointer and XML Schema

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 17 Jul 2002 14:15:15 +0100
To: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org

attached mail follows:

Great questions...

>    3. Make the schemalocation hint manditory to provide, and manditory to
> dereference for Schema-Loading, WRT XPointer.

This option really scares me! This (as has been mentioned on this list
several times) means that the document instance controls its own destiny--
which may be good in some situations but very bad in others (e.g.
discovering network topology).  Also, performance comes under the gun-- if a
browser maker has a local copy of a schema that is used as an override then
manditory dereferencing is overkill... that may be a red-herring though.

So yes, very concerned....

All the best,
Jeff Rafter
Defined Systems
http://www.defined.net
XML Development and Developer Web Hosting