Re: Unexpanded Entity Reference Information Items

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 08:11:05PM -0500, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> At 4:23 PM -0800 1/4/02, Jonathan Marsh wrote:
>

> >I also will note that Unexpanded Entity Reference Info Items are
> >incompatible with XPointer and should result in an error.
> >

> Really? Why? I just took a quick pass through the XPointer spec and
> couldn't find any text that seemed to indicate that.

Sure, it's part of the XPath 1.0 data model on which XPointer 1.0 is based:

   section 5 Data Model
   http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#data-model

There are no entities nodes in the data model and all the references to
entities explicitely say they should have been expanded, especially in:

  section 5.2 Element Nodes:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#element-nodes
  "Entity references to both internal and external entities are expanded."

Daniel