Xpointer Questions

From: Mark Polman <polman@few.eur.nl>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:23:53 +0100
To: <www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org>
After reading the XML Pointer Language Version 1.0, I have
several questions:

1) In Section 5.3.4, two new tests for location selection are
introduced: "point" and "range".

Does anybody have an example of a situation in which these
tests actually return a non-empty location set?

The only one I can think of is self::point(), under the condition
that the context location is a point.

It seems to me that an axis can only preselect node-locations and
point-locations (only in the case of a "self"-axis). How would it be
possible to select ranges from these?

2) In Section 5.3.1, the axes of a point location are defined. What
is the point of the last item: "A node-point's siblings...after the
node-point", when before it is stated that the preceding-sibling and
following-sibling axes are empty?

Also, what is the definition of the "following" and "preceding" axes?
Are they delegated to the XPath semantics?

Also, is there a reason why items 3 and 4 explicitly refer to
NODE-points instead of just points?

--Mark Polman--