Re: XPointer subset minority opinion

At 10:59 AM 5/7/01 -0400, Eve L. Maler wrote:
>We have tried to accede to the wishes of all the W3C staffers we've
>consulted throughout this process.  I will check out the possibility of
>putting the proposal in a public archive.

As promised, I have checked it out.  It turns out that what we needed to
was to get the Linking WG's permission, which was done last week (thanks to
the WG for taking this under consideration and agreeing).  I have attached
the original and revised versions of the proposal here to serve the purpose
of putting the proposal into a public archive.  Note that the WG is
planning to post a "majority opinion" outlining reasons for rejecting the
proposal; I'm not sure exactly when that will happen.

A bit of explanation about what you have before you: The original version
of the proposal (10 April) is what the WG voted on, and the revised version
(25 April) incorporated a syntax for ranges based on comments received, in
order to back up the minority opinion text.

A couple of comments have come in on the revised proposal.  Just so people
don't reinvent them here (or wherever you might choose to take further
discussion), here's info about them.  The URI references below that point
into the XHTML are both XPointer-compliant and FIXptr-compliant. :-)

NOTE-FIXptr-20010425.htm#/1/2/8/2/4/3/3/1
(B.2 Data Model, third bullet)

   It was noted that XML Schema doesn't populate the [attribute type]
   property but rather inserts one of its own.  So this point isn't a
   strong one, since there's no known schema language other than DTDs
   that populates this field.

NOTE-FIXptr-20010425.htm#/1/2/8/3/8/3/1/1/1/1
(C.3 Annotating a Document with Corrections, example)

   A person who knows RDF well commented to me that this example could
   be made RDF compliant as follows (with namespace prefixes for
   clarity):

   <a:annotations>
     <a:annotation>
       <a:problem-loc rdf:resource="footspec.xml#/1/2/2(9),/1/2/2(20)" />
       <a:replace-with>introduction</a:replace-with>
     </a:annotation>
   </a:annotations>

Let me know if you have any questions.  Thanks,

         Eve
         (also on behalf of Paul)
--
Eve Maler                                             +1 781 442 3190
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Development  eve.maler @ east.sun.com