Re: XPointer subset minority opinion

At 06:58 PM 5/5/01 +0200, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>   I assume FIXptr will have to be made public by its authors to
>satisfy you, if they want to do so. It's not the WG decision of what
>they are gonna do with it.

I would suggest that problem isn't FIXptr being kept under wraps - it's
that pretty much the entire XLink/XPointer development process has been
kept under process.

>   I did ask Eve to send their minority opinion to the public list
>in order to be more open process wise, knowing that the documement
>being discussed was not (yet?) available publicly. Sometime you can't
>provide everything, I believed that having a fraction available was
>better than nothing, maybe I was wrong, I take responsability for this.

Perhaps it might have been wise to expose these questions when they first
appeared, rather than years after some of us hope XPointer would have
shipped already.

If the WG doesn't feel that its work and questions surrounding it can stand
up to public scrutiny, that's not a good sign for the technology.

Simon St.Laurent - Associate Editor, O'Reilly & Associates
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML