Re: XLink Markup Name Control

From: Daniel Veillard <Daniel.Veillard@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:32:12 +0100
To: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Cc: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org, HTML WG <w3c-html-wg@w3.org>, Tim Berners-Lee <tbl@w3.org>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Philipp Hoschka <hoschka@w3.org>, Daniel.Veillard@w3.org, w3t-arch@w3.org, ht@w3.org
On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 11:24:03AM +0100, Steven Pemberton wrote:
> Regarding http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink-naming/, "XLink Markup Name Control",
> which we assume is a result of the following requirement:
>
> "In a meeting between Tim Berners-Lee, Dan Connolly (representing XML
> Schema), Philipp Hoschka (representing SMIL) and Daniel Veillard
> (representing XLink), there was consensus that Xlink and XML
> Schema should not exit CR unless there is a solution to generic
> link recognition that allows XHTML and SMIL to continue to use their
> current linking markup. In particular, it must be demonstrated that
> a program can use this solution to detect the linking semantics of
> XHTML and SMIL linking attributes."
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2000JulSep/0169
> .html
>
> The HTML WG has read the proposed solution, and have come to the conclusion
> that this note doesn't address our problems. While there are several aspects
> that are left open, which we will be happy to elaborate on in more detail,
> the central architectural failure is the ability to describe more than one
> URL per element.

  Link recognition is done through type recognition.
You can perfectly have multiple attributes of the same type on a single element
Please give the precice reasoning why you think it does not work, and urgently,
XLink WG will request PR today for Xlink.

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | libxml Gnome XML toolkit
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | http://xmlsoft.org/