Re: Case-sensitivity, child sequences

From: Eve L. Maler <eve.maler@east.sun.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 11:16:02 -0500
To: Emil Åström <Emil.Astrom@excosoft.se>
Cc: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org
At 11:51 AM 11/6/00 +0100, Emil Åström wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have two questions, one about XPath case-sensitivity and one
>about child sequences in XPointer.
>
>1. The string functions of XPath (starts-with(), contains(), etc.)
>all seem to be case-sensitive. Is there a way to do case-
>insensitive string comparison in XPath.

Not to my knowledge -- you might need an extension function.  Does anyone
else know?

>We would need this if we're going to use XPointer as the
>underlying base for a Find/Find&Replace dialog window
>in our product.
>
>2. Do child sequences in XPointer include comments and
>processing instructions? The spec. says that child sequences
>select among "child elements" which to me implies that
>comments and PIs are skipped. This seems to differ from
>the position() function in XPath. If this is true, then maybe
>it should be noted explicitly in the XPointer spec?

It seems pretty explicit already, as you have noted.  Child sequences are
basically equivalent to doing /*[n]/*[n]... .

         Eve
--
Eve Maler                                          +1 781 442 3190
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center    eve.maler @ east.sun.com