Re: xlink xsd file?

At 03:38 PM 9/25/00 -0700, chuck.han@autodesk.com wrote:
>Does W3C have an official xsd file associated with the
><http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink/>http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink/ namespace
>(not that it would be too difficult to create one, but if it exists, no
>sense re-inventing the wheel).

No, there isn't one, nor is there an official DTD.  There are several reasons:

- (For DTDs and schemas:) Because the rules for using XLink element types
are so loose, it's not currently very useful to write a normative schema
that expresses its constraints.  However, the spec contains many
non-normative DTD samples, to show how a language that incorporates XLink
could define its rules (typically in a tighter way).

- (For schemas only:) XML Schema is not standardized yet, and its syntax is
still changing.  It would not be appropriate to develop a normative schema
for XLink until XML Schema is a Recommendation.  This is also why I've
resisted putting non-normative schema samples in the spec; I don't want to
obsolete the spec and then have to publish errata.

However, if you find yourself developing a schema for XLink element types
that you'd like to share, please let us know so we can point to it from the
public Linking page (http://www.w3.org/XML/Linking).

Thanks,

         Eve
--
Eve Maler                                          +1 781 442 3190
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center    eve.maler @ east.sun.com