Re: Validation of documents using internal XLinks [Was:] Dependency of XPointers upon DTD

At 04:36 PM 9/8/00 +0200, Eric van der Vlist wrote:
>In practice, I don't see clearly how this "XPointer application layer"
>will fit in the picture and these tools are still missing.
>
>Anyway, I think we will need to be able to use a XPointer expression
>within stylesheets to retrieve some or all the nodes pointed by a
>XPointer.
>
>Unfortunately, XSLT doesn't allow "dynamic" XPaths and you can't write
>something like :
>
>     <xsl:apply-template select="$xpath"/>
>
>making it impossible to implement XPointer resolution using standard
>XSLT.
>
>A solution could be to allow variable XPath evaluations. This has been
>discussed at different places and there seem to be strong arguments
>against it.
>
>Another solution could be to enhance the XPath "document" function
>(currently accepting URIs as a parameter) to support XPointer.
>
>This would unfortunately not be very coherent with the current behavior:
>document("") is pointing to the stylesheet itself and to be XPointer
>conformant document("#xpointer()") should point to a node in the current
>XML document...
>
>This issue has not been included in the XSLT 1.1 requirement document
>which has been recently published.
>
>Would it help if I cross posted to xsl-editors ?

It can't hurt; I'm not sure I'm familiar enough with the problem to be much
help.  I suspect that the note coming out of the joint Linking/XSL task
force soon will improve the situation, but I can't be sure.

         Eve
--
Eve Maler                                          +1 781 442 3190
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center    eve.maler @ east.sun.com