Re: xlink help please

At 06:46 PM 9/4/00 -0700, stephanie shaddock wrote:
>i am totally lost in trying to use xlink:form. i am trying to create a
>footnote reference. i entered the
>declaration:   xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" into my xsl
>document, but i keep getting the error "xlink not declared". when i remove
>the "form" part from my dtd and xsl document i receive no error but i am
>not getting the result i would like.

The xlink:form attribute is very old; it disappeared from the design of
XLink quite a while ago.  The new equivalent is xlink:type.  You can find
the latest draft (a Candidate Recommendation) at http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink.

>  i need a superscript number afterwards. i'm not sure if this is
> completely different problem altogether, but i can not seem to create a
> superscript on the same line after my footnote. i've used tables and
> blockquotes with classes but these create new lines.

It sounds like you are attempting to implement XLink through the use of
XSL/XSLT, which is a reasonable approach.  However, your questions fall
into the "XSL/XSLT" category, so at the moment you're probably better off
posting your questions on an XSL-focused list
(http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/xsl.html#discussion).

>  p.s. do you know the entity reference for "no line break". i've used
> &nobr but i get the error "entity not declared". i can't find the
> declaration to enter anywhere.

The old common SGML entity was  .  You might try www.unicode.org to
see what character number might correspond to this concept, and then
declare the entity as such.

         Eve
--
Eve Maler                                          +1 781 442 3190
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center    eve.maler @ east.sun.com