From: John Boyer [mailto:jboyer@PureEdge.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 1:59 PM
To: Jonathan Marsh; www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org
Cc: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
Subject: RE: DSig comments on XML Base

Hi Jonathan,

OK, that makes some sense.  What you're saying is that we should have
c14n
extend the Xpath data model by adding an xml:base to the top level
element
of external entities.

This must be done by modifying the XML processor that generates the
node-set.  I wonder how easy this is for implementers.

I agree with you that trying to read between the lines on XML 1.0 is a
waste
of time, but I disagree with the implication that this is what I'm
doing.
There are quite specific lines that tell an XML processor developer that
they need not distinguish between content derived within the document
versus
content derived externally.

So, TAMURA Kent, Kevin Regan and others: could you please let us know if
you
can do this?  If so, then I'd like to do what you suggest Jonathan, then
place a note about the residual problem with base URI for top-level PIs.

Thanks,
John Boyer
Development Team Leader,
Distributed Processing and XML
PureEdge Solutions Inc.
Creating Binding E-Commerce
v: 250-479-8334, ext. 143  f: 250-479-3772
1-888-517-2675   http://www.PureEdge.com <http://www.pureedge.com/>