Re: Locating LinkBase

I was anticipating that you had a comment, rather than additional
questions, which is why I asked you to post here.  However, no harm done;
I'll try to answer here as best I can, and if a request for a change comes
out of the discussion, we'll already be in the right place.

At 03:34 PM 7/12/00 +0100, Licia Capra wrote:
>Hello Eve,
>
>let's see if I understood the point ...
>
>I have a set of (in my case XML) documents that represent the starting
>resources (or better, some elements inside them are my starting
>resources); then I have my tool that generates linkbases that I use to
>keep track of links between elements in different documents.

Yes.

>What I need now is a way to associate a starting resource with its
>linkbases (possibly more than one). This information must be kept in a
>third file (let's call it "basesLoaded" ... a name I've found in the
>XLink specification :) that my application reads each time I ask to
>apply a linkbase to a starting resource.

I'm glad you noticed my little joke!  I was hoping to put a few more in the
XPointer spec (#sand, for example :-), but in the latest round of edits,
the # mostly went away.

It's not required to have an explicit "way to associate a starting resource
with its linkbases"; for example, you could just automatically load your
linkbases as they are generated, and then your XLink application will be
primed to act on any documents that were mentioned as starting-resource
containers.

Also, if basesLoaded exists, it doesn't strictly need to be kept in a third
file, though this is probably a common choice; it would be a kind of
"config/init file."

>So these are the steps:
>
>1) load the basesLoaded --> as a result, I obtain a list of linkbases I
>can apply to my starting resource
>2) apply the selected linkbase to the staring resource
>
>Could it work?

That's the idea -- hopefully we will shake out any misconceptions during
the CR process.

         Eve
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center    elm @ east.sun.com