Re: XML Base for relative URIs: Interpretation of 5.1 of RFC 2396

At 00/07/11 09:14 -0400, Michael Mealling wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 02:17:51PM +0900, Martin J. Duerst wrote:

> > XML 1.0 also defines entities
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-physical-struct.
> > There are various kinds of entities, but relevant for this
> > discussion are both internal general entities and external
> > parsed general entities. An external parsed general entity
> > is declared e.g. as follows:
> >
> > <!ENTITY  entityName  SYSTEM "http://www.example.com/example.xml">
> >
> > An internal general entity is declared as follows:
> >
> > <!ENTITY  entityName  "entity Content">
>
>Which means that an internal general entity doesn't care what
>the Base is since it doesn't define by identifying but by
>explicit value, right?

There seems to have been some confusion about internal entities.
The main reason I mentioned them in my original mail is that
they are mentioned in the core sentence in question.
But of course some base can apply to internal entities, e.g.
in the following case:

<!ENTITY  entityName  "&lt;a href='link.xml'&gt;That's the
question.&lt;/a&gt;">

(hope I got the escaping right) or in the following case:

<!ENTITY  entityName  "link.xml">

It's pretty much straightforward that the base uri (xml:base or other)
should extend into external entities, except for the case of internal
entities defined in external entities :-(.

Regards,    Martin.