RE: Last call comments on XML Base

From: Jonathan Marsh <jmarsh@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:37:07 -0700
To: "'Martin J. Duerst'" <duerst@w3.org>
Cc: 'www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org'
Martin wrote:
> 1) XML Base says:
>
>     >>>>
>     A relative URI appearing in an attribute value is resolved
>     against the base specified in the xml:base
>     attribute appearing on the element owning the attribute,
>     if one exists, otherwise the xml:base attribute of
>     the nearest ancestor of the owning element having an
>     xml:base attribute. Note that this applies to
>     xml:base attributes themselves.
>     <<<<
>
>     The last sentence seems confusing if not completely wrong.
>     It says to resolve the xml:base attribute against itself.
>     This will lead to an endless loop. Please change.

I have fixed this.  I ended up with the following wording:

-----
A relative URI appearing in an xml:base attribute is resolved against the
base specified on the xml:base attribute appearing on the owning element's
nearest ancestor that has an xml:base attribute element.

A relative URI appearing in any other attribute value is resolved against
the base specified in the xml:base attribute appearing on the element owning
the attribute, if one exists, otherwise the xml:base attribute of the owning
element's nearest ancestor that has an xml:base attribute.
------

Do you find this clear (as well as correct :-)?

- Jonathan Marsh