RE: SYMM WG comments on XBase 2nd last call

Yes, if you use a DTD for validation.  If your spec contains a normative DTD
it would be nice to have xml:base allowed on all elements (similarly
xml:space and xml:lang if you don't provide specific restrictions on them).

> > But if we do need to specify, we can certainly just say
> that it's valid
> > (although not necessarily meaningful) on all SML elements.
>
> i guess so - i would hope that it is meaningful, though  it
> may not be useful,
>
> but that's another issue - quickly checking the draft, it
> seems that xml:base
> *is* actually meaningful wherever you chose to put it

The intent is that xml:base can appear on any element in well-formed
documents.  If you want to restrict that further, you can by making a
normative DTD.

But the bigger issue for SMIL support of xml:base is to declare in the SMIL
draft which attributes/content represents URIs (presumeably you already do
this), and that these URIs are interpreted according to XML Base.  For
instance, you might add something like I did in XInclude.  See
http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2000/07/WD-xinclude-20000705#IDwuAq1
(specificallly the first 2 paragraphs, the list, and the following sentence)
which specifies how URIs are treated in regards to the I18N character model
and XML Base.