URI references in semantic attributes

From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 15:24:26 +0200
To: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org
Hi,

About URI references used by semantic attributes :

> The value of the role or arcrole attribute must be a URI reference as
> defined in [IETF RFC 2396]. The URI reference identifies some resource
> that describes the intended property. When no value is supplied, no
> particular role value is to be inferred. Disallowed URI reference
> characters in these attribute values must be specially encoded as
> described in 5.4 Locator Attribute (href).

Questions such as :

 - are relative references allowed ?
 - how should they be processed ?
 - when are 2 semantic attributes equal ?

can be left to the application designers, but aren't we risking, to some
extent, to see the same debates than for namespaces URIs ?

Eric (over careful ?)