RE: SYMM WG comments on XBase 2nd last call

Indeed it complicates things greatly.  The WG already rejected this type of
functionality because of the level of complication introduced.  But I think
re-examining this decision is warranted because of the new information
revealed in this thread:

1) SYMM may have use for this kind of capability.  Previously we had
considerred this only in the context of XHTML.  So we've doubled the number
of "customers".

2) The xml:base mechanism may not be suitable for extension by languages
needing it, because a different media type (text/smil vs. text/xml) may
produce different results.  If our design precludes extension, we may want
to rethink a bit.

3) Adding this in an XML Base 2.0 appears quite difficult.

I agree that this feature has a high complexity price tag, and that a number
of workarounds exist.  I trust that SYMM will communicate just how important
this capability is for them so we can evaluate the tradeoffs.

- Jonathan Marsh