Re: Discrimination against all-inline links

From: Steve DeRose <Steven_DeRose@brown.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:45:31 -0800 (PST)
To: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org
At 3:42 PM -0000 1/24/00, John Cowan wrote:
>For no discernible reason, the current XLink draft does not allow
>links all of whose resources are local.  This restriction should
>be lifted, requiring only that an extended link have at least
>one resource either local or remote.

That's an interesting case. Hmmm. Can you describe when it would be most
useful? Is there a particular case you have in mind? I don't particularly
doubt it might be very useful, but the case isn't leaping to mind for me
yet....

In a sense, the fact that the data are adjacent already connects them in
XML; what would be the added semantics you're trying to achieve? An
endpoint in such a link could only be local to that one link, of course;
any other links that reference it would have to have it non-local, of
course.....

Steven_DeRose@Brown.edu; http://www.stg.brown.edu/~sjd
Chief Scientist, Scholarly Technology Group, and
   Adjunct Associate Professor, Brown University